Cont. from Part 1
The cart and experiences I posted here previously. Things were on a plateau once we developed a system. Emily did what she had to but seemed to enjoy the change of pace in getting outside in the cart. She did fairly well until June of this year. At that time, in mid-June, Emily seemed to deteriorate.
I started becoming more and more distraught and cried long hours and days, mostly away from her. I didn’t want to upset her but I think she knew. We took evening naps together and I massaged her head and back. She loved it.
I would take the back of my hand and caress her muzzle from her nose and backwards. She would immediately fall asleep. Emily seemed to tire more and more and wanted to go back to bed earlier. She loved my bed, with the deep mattress and pillow-top, the best. Glenn would put her there at 12m.
By mid-July I was extremely distraught. We talked about the “putting down”. I said that I couldn’t or wouldn’t take her life. Glenn agreed as he wanted her to stay. Since our fax was down, we took Emily with us to talk to our vet but the vet was out. That following Mon. or Tues. was our appt. to discuss Emily’s condition and for me to talk the vet about what I believed.
I told the vet that I wouldn’t and couldn’t take Emily’s life because God gave her that life. It was God who had to take it to Him. It was our job to take care of and do our best for Emily. The vet gave her stronger Rimadayl and found pop-up sores on her abdomen. These were from Emily wanting to be in one position. The antibiotic cleared that up by the beginning of August, and I had to bath or clean her daily, and be sure she kept dry.
This was very difficult as Emily would roll off the pad in the garden room a lot if not comfortable. (We cut a couple of pads from a memory foam, mattress pad that I no longer used. It was covered and then a cut-up rubber sheet, with fleece, used for cribs, was on top.)
It was challenging to keep her position moved all day when not using the cart for potty. Still, I kept reading vet’s articles on the End of Life, etc. online and thinking of the quality-of-life-dilemma. The decisions were not easy. I prayed with Emily each night.
Should I intervene now? I won’t and can’t. God made her and surely He knows if she is suffering. He has everything under control, I thought. So, by mid-August, after my prayers, the answer came as,” Wait patiently for God to act.” Of course, what was I doing trying to hurry this along! We continued Emily’s care and waited.
Cont. in Part 3
Cory and Emily Aug 20,2014. It was Corky’s 13th birthday.